• User-uploading of files is now fully enabled!! Check out our full announcement for details.

    All accounts with 0 posts on them have been purged. If you are coming back to us after a long time and you find you can't log in, then that would probably be why.

U.S. Patent 2,849,921 - M61 Vulcan/M134 Minigun

Arnox

Master
Staff member
Founder
Messages
5,441
https://patents.google.com/patent/US2849921A/en

So apparently the minigun we all know and love is actually just a downscaled version of the original M61 Vulcan. I was not aware of that.
 

Chimpzy

Adherent
Messages
67
Yup, it's smaller than larger caliber (usually vehicle-mounted) rotary barrel designs, so it's 'mini'. And uses rifle caliber rounds, hence 'gun'. Put the two together and you get 'minigun'. Also, unlike its depiction in fiction, the M134 Minigun really isn't a hand-held weapon.

Although there were plans for an actual man-portable version that used 5.56mm rounds called the XM214 Microgun. But those were scrapped, because even at that even further reduced size, it was still a really unwieldy and impractical weapon.
 

Arnox

Master
Staff member
Founder
Messages
5,441
Chimpzy said:
Yup, it's smaller than larger caliber (usually vehicle-mounted) rotary barrel designs, so it's 'mini'. And uses rifle caliber rounds, hence 'gun'. Put the two together and you get 'minigun'. Also, unlike its depiction in fiction, the M134 Minigun really isn't a hand-held weapon.

Although there were plans for an actual man-portable version that used 5.56mm rounds called the XM214 Microfun. But those were scrapped, because even at that even further reduced size, it was still a really unwieldy and impractical weapon.
Well, even if it wasn't, it would probably be too expensive in terms of ammunition and maybe even maintenance costs.

The minigun excels as a mounted support weapon, but if you try and pull it off the stand, literally or metaphorically, you're gonna have a real bad time.
 

infinityshock

Disciple
Messages
331
Arnox said:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US2849921A/en

So apparently the minigun we all know and love is actually just a downscaled version of the original M61 Vulcan. I was not aware of that.
the fucking shit is this literal shit youre spamming.

youre supposedly an admin and post a link to a 60 year old 'patent' with absolutely no valid original...or even feigned useful info...

jesus fuck, kill yourself and do the universe a favor and shut down this site.

and. there is a 5.56 caliber hand held, belt fed, multi barrelled gun.
 

Arnox

Master
Staff member
Founder
Messages
5,441
infinityshock said:
Arnox said:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US2849921A/en

So apparently the minigun we all know and love is actually just a downscaled version of the original M61 Vulcan. I was not aware of that.
youre supposedly an admin and post a link to a 60 year old 'patent' with absolutely no valid original...
But let's completely disregard the fact that they used to copypasta military manuals on TOTSE all the damn time. They used to copypasta LOTS of stuff. Don't believe me? Want to hear it from Jeff Hunter himself? I have the source.

and. there is a 5.56 caliber hand held, belt fed, multi barrelled gun.
Want to tell us about it?
 

infinityshock

Disciple
Messages
331
Arnox said:
infinityshock said:
youre supposedly an admin and post a link to a 60 year old 'patent' with absolutely no valid original...
But let's completely disregard the fact that they used to copypasta military manuals on TOTSE all the damn time. They used to copypasta LOTS of stuff. Don't believe me? Want to hear it from Jeff Hunter himself? I have the source.

and. there is a 5.56 caliber hand held, belt fed, multi barrelled gun.
Want to tell us about it?
dont you dare invoke totse, you delusional retard. the term 'totse' should never appear on this shithole...most assuredly not at the origin of your keyboard.

regardless of what shows up where and how, this is not totse and never will be. ever.

this thread is literal shit with absolutely zero value other than in your own delusions of creating content and click-bait. you didnt even try the pathetic effort of google-researching some tidbits of trivia...fuck, even a quick perusal of wikishitypedia. the express purpose of this thread is your lame attempt at weaponizing this site and attracting the wannabe soljurs that wet themselves at the thought of pulling the trigger on something yet have weapons knowledge rated in the negative percentile.
 
Top