• Welcome to the Sanctuary, Guest.
  • Time to get a forum game going! Check this thread out for details and to register.

A Solution to Tumblr's Porn Problems

Arnox

Veteran
Staff member
Administrator
Messages
2,912
#1
So if you haven't heard yet, Tumblr will be banning and deleting ALL NSFW content from its site. As you'd probably imagine, some jimmies were definitely rustled by this. The thing is though, I can actually understand at least a little that the reputation Tumblr has as a porn site is actually unwanted by the owners. But as they're quickly finding out, they can't just take a sledgehammer to it all. So what should they do?

Actually, the solution is laughably simple once you think about it. Just put original Tumblr into read-only mode and start a new version of it. At worst, people would simply just ignore the new version and view the old Tumblr. Yeah, some people are still gonna be disappointed about it. But that's just unavoidable. And at least this way, all the old content is preserved.

Perhaps the real question Verizon (the current owners of Tumblr) should be asking themselves is, what can Tumblr offer in this day and age that ISN'T porn? Then capitalize on that. But if they really can't think of anything to do with all that server power and software then maybe they do deserve to have a dying site on their hands. Tumblr can remain profitable and users can be satisfied. But that requires them to actually be intelligent, and with this latest stunt, I see that commodity is in short supply.
 
Messages
33
#2
What I don't understand is why they don't do the same thing 4chan did about 3 weeks ago and just move NSFW content to a different domain. They could make the NSFW part unaccessible to Apps and get different advertisers for both.
 

Ogoid

Adherent
Messages
25
#3
Honestly, it boggles my mind that they think banning porn from their website is going to be anything other than business suicide.

Someone over at KiA linked to this in response... it really does say it all.
 
Messages
33
#4
Honestly, it boggles my mind that they think banning porn from their website is going to be anything other than business suicide.

Someone over at KiA linked to this in response... it really does say it all.
I read that like 2% of the accounts on Tumblr are porn accounts and 20% of the user base search for porn.

Even if their site drops 20% of its user base the ad revenue from the remaining 80% might be more valuable. Simply because they will be able to attract bigger advertisers.
 
Messages
4
#5
What I don't understand is why they don't do the same thing 4chan did about 3 weeks ago and just move NSFW content to a different domain. They could make the NSFW part unaccessible to Apps and get different advertisers for both.
As someone who primarily browsed Tumblr for fandom, and nsfw related content, I can get on board with the 4chan solution.

There is a chance that isolating the nsfw content and making it inaccessible on the apps would only temporarily stall what is the slow decline of the site but perhaps the decision would be able to satisfy enough users to keep it alive for a little longer.

Most users enjoy the ease that came with the tumblr app, but there are probably still some that wouldn’t mind having to compromise and use their laptops instead—a number that includes myself.

Overall, I’m for this more than other options simply because it won’t necessarily hinder nsfw artists and and adult content creators/lovers from uploading and reaching their audiences—besides the obstacles that come with the terms of the compromise itself.

Of course, even if this could happen there’s still a chance disgusting cp posters and porn bots could infect the nsfw subsection again.
 
Messages
33
#6
As someone who primarily browsed Tumblr for fandom, and nsfw related content, I can get on board with the 4chan solution.

There is a chance that isolating the nsfw content and making it inaccessible on the apps would only temporarily stall what is the slow decline of the site but perhaps the decision would be able to satisfy enough users to keep it alive for a little longer.

Most users enjoy the ease that came with the tumblr app, but there are probably still some that wouldn’t mind having to compromise and use their laptops instead—a number that includes myself.

Overall, I’m for this more than other options simply because it won’t necessarily hinder nsfw artists and and adult content creators/lovers from uploading and reaching their audiences—besides the obstacles that come with the terms of the compromise itself.

Of course, even if this could happen there’s still a chance disgusting cp posters and porn bots could infect the nsfw subsection again.
True, I forgot about the apparent CP problem. I never used tumblr but heard they had a massive CP problem. If they struggle to put a lid on that no wonder they're shutting down NSFW completely.