• User-uploading of files is now fully enabled!! Check out our full announcement for details.

    All accounts with 0 posts on them have been purged. If you are coming back to us after a long time and you find you can't log in, then that would probably be why.

How should people handle nuclear weapons?

andersonnnunes

Disciple
Messages
326
Do you guys have any considerations on nuclear weapons policy? I find this observation amusing:

Islamic law of Jihad does not prohibit indiscriminate killing of the population of the
enemy (it cannot since the Prophet Muhammad himself engaged in such practices). In the effort to
find a 7th century analogy to nuclear weapons, Islamic scholars have likened them to “catapults”
(manjanik) on the grounds that these, like nuclear weapons, kill people without the operator of the
weapon knowing in advance who was killed. Since the Prophet Muhammad uses such weapons (during
the siege of the Arabian city of Taif), it is assumed that he would have used nuclear weapons, were he
to have them.


(Excerpt from "God, nations and Deterrence: The Impact of Religion on Deterrence")​


Anyone afraid that a rogue tribe will develop nuclear weapons and use it?


(edit: copy and paste from another forum did not work well.)
 

Houseman

Zealot
Sanctuary legend
Messages
1,112
Islamic law of Jihad does not prohibit indiscriminate killing of the population of the
enemy (it cannot since the Prophet Muhammad himself engaged in such practices). In the effort to
find a 7th century analogy to nuclear weapons, Islamic scholars have likened them to “catapults”
(manjanik) on the grounds that these, like nuclear weapons, kill people without the operator of the
weapon knowing in advance who was killed. Since the Prophet Muhammad uses such weapons (during
the siege of the Arabian city of Taif), it is assumed that he would have used nuclear weapons, were he
to have them.
That seems like quite a stretch to say that "if you'd use a catapult, you'd use a nuke." You could use the same "without the operator knowing in advance who was killed" logic to apply to a bow and arrow as well. After all, you don't know if you'll miss or not, and you're most likely firing into a crowd.
 

Signa

Libertarian Contrarian
Sanctuary legend
Messages
789
Houseman said:
Islamic law of Jihad does not prohibit indiscriminate killing of the population of the
enemy (it cannot since the Prophet Muhammad himself engaged in such practices). In the effort to
find a 7th century analogy to nuclear weapons, Islamic scholars have likened them to “catapults”
(manjanik) on the grounds that these, like nuclear weapons, kill people without the operator of the
weapon knowing in advance who was killed. Since the Prophet Muhammad uses such weapons (during
the siege of the Arabian city of Taif), it is assumed that he would have used nuclear weapons, were he
to have them.
That seems like quite a stretch to say that "if you'd use a catapult, you'd use a nuke." You could use the same "without the operator knowing in advance who was killed" logic to apply to a bow and arrow as well. After all, you don't know if you'll miss or not, and you're most likely firing into a crowd.
Well, inconsistency and weak justification is pretty par for the course with most religions, especially Islam.
 

Houseman

Zealot
Sanctuary legend
Messages
1,112
Signa said:
Well, inconsistency and weak justification is pretty par for the course with most religions, especially Islam.
But this isn't Islam saying this. This isn't what Islam actually thinks, the quote appears to be from an article written by someone named Shmuel Bar, who seems to be from Israel: https://www.hudson.org/experts/676-shmuel-bar
 

andersonnnunes

Disciple
Messages
326
Houseman said:
But this isn't Islam saying this. This isn't what Islam actually thinks, the quote appears to be from an article written by someone named Shmuel Bar, who seems to be from Israel: https://www.hudson.org/experts/676-shmuel-bar

I know one very vocal supporter of Islam that wants to see nukes dropped on people he disagrees with and is willing to convince muslins that they should do it, because he believes that doing this is compatible with Islam.
 

Houseman

Zealot
Sanctuary legend
Messages
1,112
andersonnnunes said:
Houseman said:
But this isn't Islam saying this. This isn't what Islam actually thinks, the quote appears to be from an article written by someone named Shmuel Bar, who seems to be from Israel: https://www.hudson.org/experts/676-shmuel-bar

I know one very vocal supporter of Islam that wants to see nukes dropped on people he disagrees with and is willing to convince muslins that they should do it, because he believes that doing this is compatible with Islam.
I'd believe that. I'd believe it if you told me a Christian thought the same way, or a Jew, or anyone from any other religion. Big talkers with no real power or authority.
 

Houseman

Zealot
Sanctuary legend
Messages
1,112
I have no opinion on whether they work or not. When one of these big talkers get access to a nuke, then my ears will perk up, but until then, I'm apathetic.,
 
Top