Author Topic: Choose Your Own Adventure: Bike Quest  (Read 492 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Arnox

Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Bike Quest
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 03:08:47 AM »
not sure how i feel about these powers, they seem kinda lame but also kinda interesting at the same time, maybe i'm just not thinking with portals yet though.
Either way I'll take a stomach-ache any day

Well, if I have to take the pill, a stomach ache is going to be better than a migraine any day.

You let the government turn us into a tool. What have you done? :frown:

Offline Signa

  • Arch Disciple
  • ***
  • Posts: 563
  • Libertarian Contrarian
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Bike Quest
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2018, 05:27:36 AM »
Red Square.  Whatever wants to bite you can bite back.
The first and second amendments guarantees your right to oppose the first and second amendments.

Offline Houseman

  • Disciple
  • ***
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Bike Quest
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 04:38:14 AM »
Spoiler
The Red Square might be my favorite

CARNIVORE

The layout of the place is explained to you. The school and the living quarters are arranged in one big square, with the administration building at the center. The four areas take up four quadrants of the square. In the North-East quadrant is the Red square. North doesn't really exist here, but it works well enough to orient yourself, or to give directions.

You follow a road made of red brick on top of slightly darker red earth. It would be easy for you to lose the path if you stop paying attention, but you keep yourself focused. Occasionally you look up and see structures which you guess are buildings. They're actually just brick walls and clay arches. Very few structures have roofs. Some of them aren't even enclosed. Occasionally you see a creature of some sort roaming around in what you assume to be their living space, gazing out at you through breeze-gaps in the brick.

You suppose the purple jacket keeps them from eating you. Though, if they tried it, you still don't have any powers with which to defend yourself, so it's more of a bluff than anything.

The path leads to what you suppose is the center of this quadrant. It looks like a fairly modern building. It has a roof, glass windows, even a wooden fence. You go inside, and there's even air conditioning. It looks like a rec center. There's a pool table, some couches, and even a TV. A glass door leads back outside to a pool. The place is deserted, but the water looks agitated, like someone is swimming out there, so you head towards that direction.

In the pool, you can barely make out a form, almost the same color as the water, flitting back and forth across the length of the pool with a speed that seems supernaturally quick. This must actually be a fish, because it's not coming up for air. There's something that looks like over-sized fish food, as big as potato chips, next to a lounge chair. You pick up a few and inspect them. It looks and smells a little like jerky. Out of curiosity you toss some into the water.

The thing stops swimming around and focuses on the food, which floats on the surface of the pool. Instead of eating the food like you'd expect, the thing surfaces. It appears to be some kind of female shark/squid thing. She looks at her chips, back at you, and bursts out laughing. If she didn't already breathe water, she probably would have drowned, since she apparently is in such a laughing fit that she stops treading water and begins to sink in her hysterics.

You sure feel dumb.

When she regains enough of her composure to surface again, she speaks to you, revealing at least three rows of shark teeth.

"You're new here, right?"

There's no denying that. About a thousand things give that away.

She pulls herself out of the edge of the pool, and your first instinct is to look away out of politeness, for she doesn't seem to be wearing anything. But then, she's not human. She is humanoid, and has a female form. There are breasts, but no nipples. You don't look close enough to see any other details, because that should definitely be impolite, human or not. You just don't go around inspecting the genitalia of intelligent creatures, right?

She slicks back a few tentacles out of the way of her eyes, which she has in the place of hair and approaches you. She's intimidatingly beautiful, and a head taller than you. You stammer out an apology about her chips while you back up towards the door that leads back inside.

When you put your hand on the door, she vomits out some goo, which binds your hand fast to the door, and the door to the frame. The more you struggle against it, the more it constricts. She laughs and hugs your other arm playfully. Her teeth, and her tentacle-like tongue, are terrifying. You're pretty sure she can unhinge her jaw, assuming it has a hinge.

"Where do you think you're going? First you spoil my snack, and now you've seen me naked? You're not going to leave without giving me a little recompense in return, are you?"

She just got out of the water, but she feels dry. Her tongue, however, is not. You find this out as it actually wraps around your throat.

You're going to be brave this time. You're not going to pass out again. You've got this jacket. Time to bluff. As best you can, you say something about being capable of biting back.

She bursts out laughing in your face, again. She releases her holds on you and collapses on the floor, inky tears steaming down her face. For the second time in about two minutes, you sure feel dumb. You kind of wish she would have just chomped your head off.

You've dropped the envelopes you were carrying, which she is now rolling around on. Once she collects herself, she notices the one addressed to the Red Square.

"You're honestly hilarious. I love you. Seriously, lay your eggs and I will fertilize your babies. Our children will be the greatest comedians ever. Hey, is this envelope for me?"

She spits again on your stuck hand, the goop on which begins to dissolve as she opens and reads the letter. After a few seconds of reading, she looks at you with that terrifying smile of hers and leaps on to you, hugging you fully, this time. She's screaming 'thank you's at you and lifting you off the ground.  You don't know why. You don't know what was even in that letter. You weren't even necessarily supposed to deliver it to her, specifically, just to this quadrant.

She puts you down, not listening to you, and explains that she needs to tell her parents. She dives back into the pool, letter in hand, and disappears through an underwater hatch.

You have no idea what just happened.

You have about a half of a day left, and three letters left to deliver. You have enough time to make one more delivery today before you need to start preparing for the worst stomach pain you've ever felt in your life. yay.

You look at the remains of the goop on your hand. Do you even dare to have another experience like that?

A) Blue Circle
B) Green Triangle
C) Black Diamond
D) Do this later, when you have powers.

Offline Signa

  • Arch Disciple
  • ***
  • Posts: 563
  • Libertarian Contrarian
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Bike Quest
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2018, 12:42:01 AM »
That was intense.  Let's make the next one easy.  Blue circle.
The first and second amendments guarantees your right to oppose the first and second amendments.

Offline gaijinkaiju

  • Adherent
  • *
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Bike Quest
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 05:08:24 PM »
Yeah, how about blue circle, we dont' want to die (again) on our first day on the job
God's in his heaven. All's right with the world

Online Vendor-Lazarus

  • Devotee
  • **
  • Posts: 215
  • 'Today's Science-Fiction, Tomorrow's Reality'
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Bike Quest
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 09:43:58 PM »
Blue circle is the logical next choice.
That way, we can use the pain to keep a calm outward appearance amidst all the danger and act with an untouchable indifference.

Offline Houseman

  • Disciple
  • ***
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Bike Quest
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2018, 04:56:57 AM »
RELAX

You decide to take it easy with your next delivery and go somewhere without things that could eat you: the Blue Circle.

From the central building, you head South-East. As before, there's one road that leads the way. The houses here all look like small red cubes, about six feet in width, height, and depth, with what looks like a door on one face. Some are stacked two or three high. They look like portable prison cells. You bet there's only a bed and a toilet inside. The carnivores over at the Red Square seem to have it better.

You wonder who, if anyone, builds these accommodations. Maybe they build it themselves? Did your human classmates build these? HQ? Why does each quadrant seem to have a different housing theme? Is this what someone thought humanoids would like?

Your pondering is interrupted when the road ends at the center of the neighborhood. There's a cube here, larger than the rest, so that it looks like an actual building. Instead of a door, there's just a flat blackness. Out of curiosity, you touch it, expecting it to be paint, but your hand doesn't stop moving where it should. Your finger disappears into the darkness, as if it had been cut off. It occurs to you that this is just a portal. You cautiously enter with your foot first, making sure that you have somewhere solid to stand on wherever you end up.

You end up in what looks like the lobby of a fancy hotel. There's a large counter that looks like it was carved from a solid chunk of marble. There's a fountain, a chandelier, a spiral staircase, a bearskin rug next to a fire, and an auto-piano playing a tune.

You can see out the windows, and perceive that the sky is blue here.

The lobby is deserted, but you can see that there's an area in the back that leads outside.

You head in that direction, and see that it's a horse-racing track, with stands and everything. This too, is completely deserted, except that you can see what looks like a human, running laps on the track. You also notice a small, childlike figure sitting in the first row of the stands. You make your way towards the figure.

You stop and raise your voice with a greeting from a safe distance, so you don't get too close and startle them by your approach. The figure is startled all the same. It appears to be feminine, but not quite human. Actually, she looks like an obvious fabrication of a human. She's literally a living doll.

You didn't know they made dolls that big, which is creepy, and what's even creepier is that this doll is clearly alive. She's looking right at you, with glass eyes and an unchanging expression. Her body language signifies distrust, alarm, and uncomfort. She speaks without moving her lips

"What are you doing here? Who are you?"

You tell her that you're here to deliver something, and that you're a new, human, student.

This doesn't seem to relax her any. She asks what it is, and you tell her that you actually don't know, but that the last person who received one of these envelopes was really happy about it. You realize that sounded suspicious, and she evidently thinks so too, because she stands up and takes a step backward.

The doll is dressed in a sporty outfit, made for exercising. A leotard, with neon purple leggings. Not made for running around a horse track, but for the dancing, aerobic kind of exercise. Speaking of which, you remember the runner on the track. You turn around just soon enough to see a sweat-covered, dark-skinned fist collide with your eye socket.




You're really getting sick of this. This now counts as the third time today that you've been unconscious. You awake with a start, and glance around, looking for somebody to yell at. At first you don't see anybody, but then you remember that dolls are people too. There's doll in this room, but it's a different doll than the other one. This one looks more traditional, and of a size that a child might play with. All the same, it speaks to you in the same voice as before:

"Please don't be mad. I was scared. I doubted your intentions, so I had her hit you. Are you alright now?"

You feel your face where you were struck, gingerly at first, expecting it to be swollen, but it isn't. It feels fine.

You're still in the same place where the sky is blue. From your position on the bed, a quite nice bed with a real fur blanket, you can see the racetrack, but you're higher up, in a bedroom above the lobby, you guess.

A dark-skinned figure, the runner, enters. You recognize that fist. It appears to be a human girl, but two heads taller than you, and buff like a bodybuilder, with crude, jagged scars crisscrossing her abdomen, which you can see, thanks to her running outfit. You don't care how big or scarred she is, you're giving this amazonian a piece of your mind. You throw aside the blanket and demand an explanation.

She doesn't answer, but instead points to the doll.

"Don't get mad a her, she didn't do it, I did. I'm controlling her, like I control this doll"

Well then you demand an explanation from her, then. You realize that you've already gotten one, but you demand another one anyway.

"You're right, I'm terribly sorry. You were honest, and I doubted you. I read your letter, and you were right! This is good news, and I am eternally in your debt for bringing this to me."

Your curiosity cools your anger a little, and you ask what the good news is. You don't know what you're even delivering.

"I've been chosen to be an Ambassador! You've chosen me!"

The doll's voice seems elated, but her face is unchanging, which is creepy. You don't know what she's talking about. You didn't choose anybody. The Amazonian brings the doll the letter.

"You said that you were new. I guess you don't know yet? Ambassadors serve the Enforcers and assist them in carrying out their duties. They enjoy special protections and salaries. It's an honor that every inter-dimensional strives for. An honor that I thank you for, from the bottom of my heart."

Wait, but you still didn't choose her or anybody else. You were just told to deliver these envelopes to locations, not necessarily people. It was just random chance that she was even here.

"I believe that fate brought you to me. If not you, I have been chosen by another. Regardless, the contract is signed."

The Amazonian turns the letter toward you, so that you can read it. A holographic image of the doll's face floats in space next to the paper.

"I always thought humans hated me. They would always try to lock me up or get rid of me, unless I didn't move or speak. Until I met this poor girl. I was all she had. One day... But what am I saying, you don't want to hear our life stories. It's almost curfew, and I've more than inconvenienced you already. We can see you out, if you'd like?"

There's a clock in this room. You have about two hours until the pain should start.

A) Stay and hear their life stories, maybe ask more questions from maybe the least-suspicious person you've met so far. You can leave in time.
B) Go and get ready for the pain early, so this time you can be unconscious in your own bed




Online Vendor-Lazarus

  • Devotee
  • **
  • Posts: 215
  • 'Today's Science-Fiction, Tomorrow's Reality'
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Bike Quest
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2018, 06:05:06 AM »
A

Offline gaijinkaiju

  • Adherent
  • *
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Bike Quest
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2018, 10:34:09 AM »
Lets hear the life story, surely it won't take two hours
God's in his heaven. All's right with the world

Offline Houseman

  • Disciple
  • ***
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Bike Quest
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2018, 05:36:07 AM »
LISTEN

You have some time. It would be nice to hear the stories of these two. You ask her to continue.

"I'm a life form that must bond to inanimate objects in order to survive.  I like the dolls that Earth has, so I inhabit their bodies. Sometimes I would stay quiet, but then I would get the urge to talk to someone. It's awfully boring, and humans are ever-so interesting. Most of the time they didn't like it, despite treating the dolls as if they were real, otherwise. Do you know why humans act that way?"

You guess it's just play. Sometimes it's fun to imagine that a doll is a child, or to act out situations with them. You remember that you used to play with action figures, and pretend that they were fighting. But you never expect them to actually come to life. Humans don't like it when unexpected things like that happen. It makes humans feel... unsafe.

"Interesting. Back on Earth, before I came to this school, I was inhabiting a home-made doll that a mother had made for her daughter. They were traveling, somewhere. They were on a boat. There were three of them, two adults, and a child. The adults seemed sad and scared most of the time, but the girl was always happy. She always clung to me, and I enjoyed being so loved.

When the boat reached land, the male adult was separated from the two females. All the females were grouped together into a big camp. The only males there had guns, and didn't live with us. There were other children for the girl to play with, but she was afraid, and only played with me.

The mother was taken away in the evenings, and returned in the mornings.  Her body became more and more inanimate each day, and she eventually died. After that, the girl was taken away too. She always took care to hide me before the men with guns came, and she would always find me again, when she returned. She began to die too.

On the last day, she was too weak to hide me, but she never let me go. They carried her out, and when they saw that she was dying, they tossed her to the dogs. I was there.  She couldn't move. I watched them rip her open. I could feel her body becoming inanimate, as her mother's did. That's when I got an idea. I could save her. I inhabited the parts of her body that were dead, and made them move. I gave her strength. We killed the dogs. We killed the men. We escaped.

After that I fixed her body as much as I could. There were men fighting each-other in that place. When they saw us, they tried to take us again, so we had to keep fighting. Eventually they grew scared of us, and stopped coming near. We traveled across the country to a place where there was no fighting, and men and women lived together. It was there that an Enforcer found us, and brought us here.

She can't talk. Most of her internal organs are gone, but her skin, muscles, bones, and brain are in good shape. At first they were afraid of us. They wanted to let her die. To put me in the Black Diamond. But since her brain is still alive, and since she's fully human, they decided to put us here. They argued about it a lot. They said we killed a lot of humans. We could tell they didn't like us.

We've been here for over 15 years. We've passed all the classes, but we've never gotten an opportunity to graduate. The original Enforcers that brought us here are all gone, but nobody wants to let us go back to Earth. It would be fine if it were just me, but I want her to see her home planet. I want her to experience the real Earth, and the real sky. To eat real human food. I've learned how to make her body grow, and we've been training it. I want her to live the best life that she can. I want to make her happy, like how she made me happy.

But now we're Ambassadors! We'll graduate with you, and go back to Earth together! To see that they finally trust us is wonderful beyond belief. It still doesn't feel real. Thank you"


You look at the Amazonian. At her scars.
You hope you won't have nightmares tonight.


---

You lie in bed, awaiting the pain that is scheduled to come. You anxiously eye the clock. Two minutes now. One minute now. Any second now. Nothing happens. The anticipation is killing you.

You get up to go to the bathroom, and it hits you unexpectedly in the hallway. You double over in pain. Your legs give out. A sweat breaks out over your entire body. Your feet hurt. Your ears hurt. Your arms hurt. Your whole body is a factory of pain, starting from your abdomen, and spreading out across your entire body. You writhe to the bathroom in the fetal position, this being the least painful position, and manage to start a cold shower.

You spend the night there, shaking from pain and shivering from cold, contemplating ways to disembowel yourself.


---

The next morning, the shaggy-haired man has to come and find you. The pain is gone, and you've since come out of the bathroom, but you're traumatized, curled up in bed. He tells you to get dressed, or else he'll drag you out in your undies. He leads you to the room with the table, and then to an adjacent room. In the room sits nothing but one of those hair-dryer-chairs that women sit in after they get their hair done. The pirate lady joins the two of you.

"Now that the pill has done its work, you're ready to learn how to use your powers. This machine will teach you. There are hundreds of, what we call, "formulas" contained in his chair. Each formula teaches you how to use portals in complex ways. There are formulas for flight, for invisibility, for super-strength, all the powers you'd read about in comic books, and of course the basic opening of a portal. We'll just start you off with the basics for now, and a weaker formula to play around with. We don't want you blowing up the school on your first day. We'll let you learn more, once you've gotten the hang of it.

So here's what you can have for now:

A) Flight
B) Bulletproof-ness
C) Moderate super-strength
D) Out-of-body projection.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:39:04 AM by Houseman »

Online Vendor-Lazarus

  • Devotee
  • **
  • Posts: 215
  • 'Today's Science-Fiction, Tomorrow's Reality'
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Bike Quest
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2018, 06:58:58 AM »
Only 15 years, and all the Enforcers are new ones? Short life-span due to work/danger/powers?

I'll go with C.
I was thinking A first, but since you will almost only be working on Earth, that's a dangerous slip-up to be caught in.
B would only be relevant if you are going into dangerous places on Earth, which I'm hoping the refugees Aren't going to.
D would only really be useful for "looking around the corner", but it will leave your original body helpless.