Author Topic: LinuXP - An Important Announcement  (Read 169 times)

Offline Arnox

LinuXP - An Important Announcement
« on: September 13, 2018, 08:30:16 PM »
Development on LinuXP will be temporarily halted until I get my hands on a 32 GB drive somewhere for further testing. If the download links expire and you need the OS reuploaded, please don't hesitate to contact me somehow (preferably via PM) to let me know that you'd like the links refreshed.

Offline BitXdDimensional

• Outlander+
    • View Profile
    • Eht-Namuh
Re: LinuXP - An Important Announcement
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 04:12:51 PM »
Development on LinuXP will be temporarily halted until I get my hands on a 32 GB drive somewhere for further testing. If the download links expire and you need the OS reuploaded, please don't hesitate to contact me somehow (preferably via PM) to let me know that you'd like the links refreshed.

You can accomplish same thing with virtualbox, just create the size disk you want and develop from there. :)

Offline Arnox

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 04:27:29 PM »

You can accomplish same thing with virtualbox, just create the size disk you want and develop from there. :)

That would work for a local installation, but the OS is designed to be portable, so I don't think the VM can help me simulate that all the way.

Offline BitXdDimensional

• Outlander+
    • View Profile
    • Eht-Namuh
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 04:45:35 PM »
being portable would need to work across multiple architecture such as intel vs amd, radeon vs nvidia, linux mint has all that covered in the xorg drivers, inculding virtualbox video driver, you shouldn't have to worry about any of that. Unless you're making a distro from gentoo, where code is compiled for a specific processor using CFLAGS="-march=CPU_ARCH" you shouldn't have to worry much about anything except the fstab and grub.cfg uuids poiting the same place, which they will if you image it from vbox drive.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:53:31 PM by BitXdDimensional »

Offline Arnox

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 07:23:36 PM »
being portable would need to work across multiple architecture such as intel vs amd, radeon vs nvidia, linux mint has all that covered in the xorg drivers, inculding virtualbox video driver, you shouldn't have to worry about any of that. Unless you're making a distro from gentoo, where code is compiled for a specific processor using CFLAGS="-march=CPU_ARCH" you shouldn't have to worry much about anything except the fstab and grub.cfg uuids poiting the same place, which they will if you image it from vbox drive.

OK, but how would I install it? I don't think there's any way to "plug" a USB drive into the VM that has Clonezilla running unless I'm much mistaken.

Offline BitXdDimensional

• Outlander+
    • View Profile
    • Eht-Namuh
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 08:15:49 PM »
there is a little usb icon at bottom of running machine, while running click on that little icon and select usb
you have plugged in.

Offline BitXdDimensional

• Outlander+
    • View Profile
    • Eht-Namuh
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 08:50:00 PM »
also when setting up machine, make sure the usb setting is set to 1.0 or 2.0 not 3.0, 3 fails on vbox

Offline BitXdDimensional

• Outlander+
    • View Profile
    • Eht-Namuh
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 05:21:10 PM »
Let me know if it works.

Offline Arnox

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 09:01:01 PM »
Let me know if it works.

Again, dragging my feet with this. Figuring out this distribution shit is a pain in the ass and really unexciting. But it has to be done.

Offline BitXdDimensional

• Outlander+
    • View Profile
    • Eht-Namuh
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 09:58:44 PM »
If you stick with debian/ubuntu based distros to make yours from, really the only thing you need to figure out is what will make your distro different than the rest and the easiest possible way for a non linux user to use it on a usb and have it be persistent  like, live usb creator you can create bootable ubuntu distro on usb that will maintain changes you make to it after you log out.

Offline Arnox

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 01:32:51 AM »
If you stick with debian/ubuntu based distros to make yours from, really the only thing you need to figure out is what will make your distro different than the rest and the easiest possible way for a non linux user to use it on a usb and have it be persistent  like, live usb creator you can create bootable ubuntu distro on usb that will maintain changes you make to it after you log out.

Live USB Creator, though useful, is actually inferior to LinuXP due to limited persistence. My OS has absolute persistence. As to specific perks besides that, there are already some, but I can't really work on it further until I sort out this distribution method.

Offline BitXdDimensional

• Outlander+
    • View Profile
    • Eht-Namuh
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 04:35:09 PM »
I know exactly what you want to do, it's exactly what I did with your LinuXP image, You want to have boot, swap and root partitions ext4  file system all on a single usb stick, That's simple and can be done with the mint xp installer, if you turn your LinuXP into a Live usb or dvd you can then use installer to install it to anything that plugs into a computer, just squashfs your linuXP and replace the mint squash.fs and boom, there you go.

Offline Arnox

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 11:00:09 PM »
I know exactly what you want to do, it's exactly what I did with your LinuXP image, You want to have boot, swap and root partitions ext4  file system all on a single usb stick, That's simple and can be done with the mint xp installer, if you turn your LinuXP into a Live usb or dvd you can then use installer to install it to anything that plugs into a computer, just squashfs your linuXP and replace the mint squash.fs and boom, there you go.

But will the installer configure GRUB correctly? Because I actually tried 3 different installers and they ALL used the wrong config.

Offline BitXdDimensional

• Outlander+
    • View Profile
    • Eht-Namuh
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 08:22:59 PM »
What 3 installers?

Offline Arnox

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 09:56:44 PM »
What 3 installers?

Bodhi Linux and... Um. Actually it was probably just Bodhi and Mint.