News: All systems normal.

• May 28, 2018, 12:05:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What Would You Like To See?  (Read 649 times)

Offline Vendor-Lazarus

• Adherent
  • 'Today's Science-Fiction, Tomorrow's Reality'
    • View Profile
Re: What Would You Like To See?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2018, 10:56:57 PM »

Done. Works now. :tup:

Great!
So, which solution did you choose?
Can we quote 2-3 deep now?
With or without leftover text?

Offline Signa

• Adherent
  • Libertarian Contrarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2018, 01:32:10 AM »
I'm already loving the fact I can collapse spoilers if I don't want them on the screen anymore.
The first and second amendments guarantees your right to oppose the first and second amendments.

Online Arnox

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2018, 02:01:26 AM »
I'm sorry this took so long. I kinda forgot you replied. lol

Concerning design: The width of the forum MAY be a pretty easy fix actually. What I'm worried about is that by constricting the width more, it's going to screw with the mobile layout of posts which is already pretty optimal. Now SMF DOES have a dedicated mobile mode, but the last time I dealt with it, it was kinda meh. And I hate mobile versions of sites too.
That shouldn't be too much of a problem, actually.

Most mobiles phones have a very limited effective width, ranging from 320px to around 800px depending on orientation, so if you were to add a "max-width: 1200px;" to div#wrapper in the site's style sheet, pretty much all phones would still have a full-width experience, but desktops would get a slimmed down version, which would in turn be a bit easier on the eyes.

Most tablets would also still display a full screen site, aside from some freakishly large ones when in landscape mode, for example the Ipad Pro 12.9" with its 1024x1366 resolution.

Done. Actually I just realized, since I have a 1440x900 monitor, my max width for my system was already around ~1200, so I didn't see what the issue was. I'm dumb. lol

Done. Works now. :tup:

Great!

It's a secret... o_o

And yes, you can quote 2 deep now. Don't know what you mean with the text though. It's gonna automatically have a max of two quotes.

I'm already loving the fact I can collapse spoilers if I don't want them on the screen anymore.

It's almost as if we built it to not be a piece of crap. :laugh:

Offline Vendor-Lazarus

• Adherent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 02:42:16 AM »

Great!

It's a secret... o_o

And yes, you can quote 2 deep now. Don't know what you mean with the text though. It's gonna automatically have a max of two quotes.

2 deep and no leftover text (which would have been me quoting  you saying 'Done. Works now. :thumbsup:).
Nice!

Offline bluegate

• Adherent
    • View Profile
    • luckymouse.nl
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »
When browsing on the Escapist, this might be an interesting page for you.

/shameless self promotion  :P

That shouldn't be too much of a problem, actually.

Most mobiles phones have a very limited effective width, ranging from 320px to around 800px depending on orientation, so if you were to add a "max-width: 1200px;" to div#wrapper in the site's style sheet, pretty much all phones would still have a full-width experience, but desktops would get a slimmed down version, which would in turn be a bit easier on the eyes.

Most tablets would also still display a full screen site, aside from some freakishly large ones when in landscape mode, for example the Ipad Pro 12.9" with its 1024x1366 resolution.

Done. Actually I just realized, since I have a 1440x900 monitor, my max width for my system was already around ~1200, so I didn't see what the issue was. I'm dumb. lol
Thanks! Reading posts has become a lot easier :D

Offline Guilion

• Outlander
  • ♪El mariachi fennec quiere bailar♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 12:19:35 AM »
Sooooo, I already know that https is out of the question but can we at least be assured that the databases of the website are encrypted? (You know, just the databases, not the connection)

Online Arnox

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 12:51:29 AM »
Sooooo, I already know that https is out of the question but can we at least be assured that the databases of the website are encrypted? (You know, just the databases, not the connection)

HTTPS is NOT off the table, but it's being a real bitch because Cloudflare, the one providing the free certificates, has given us very bad documentation, among other things, and now me and my host are trying to puzzle over how exactly this has to work. I'll post an update when I have more to report.

Offline Guilion

• Outlander
  • ♪El mariachi fennec quiere bailar♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 01:19:06 AM »

HTTPS is NOT off the table, but it's being a real bitch because Cloudflare, the one providing the free certificates, has given us very bad documentation, among other things, and now me and my host are trying to puzzle over how exactly this has to work. I'll post an update when I have more to report.
Oh wow, thanks a lot for taking my off-site suggestion into consideration. Be patient with cloudfare, they have always been a pain to deal with and very recently updated their TOS which, by the way, made them end relationships with various sites including ED and archive is.

Offline Silvanus

• Adherent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2018, 07:19:53 PM »
Well, I'm definitely not going to suggest any rules like the infamous "don't be a jerk" rule on the last site, because it's quite clear that (for better or worse, hopefully for better) that's not the vibe of this place. That rule was far, far too vague and loosely-interpreted anyway, I think most posters agree.

But I would like to say that there's a reason the Wild West back at The Escapist was just left alone by quite a lot of the regulars elsewhere on the forum, and it wasn't because it was Pub-Club only. Half the time, the free reign would result in levity and free-wheelin' and all that jazz, and all was good. And the other half of the time, people would be using it to throw around unbridled aggression towards each other, and it was ugly and slightly awkward, and things had obviously just devolved into genuine anger and insult, slurs and personal shit.

This place is clearly not on the verge of that happening right now, because we're all in that honeymoon phase (long may it continue!), bolstered by our camaraderie at having escaped that sinking ship we all previously served aboard, where the captain was drunk and the below-deck guys who knew what they were doing had all been let go for no good reason.

...but I suppose what I would like to see is some indication that the same won't happen here. I want to be part of a community with the people from The Escapist, but with a semi-functional forum; I don't want to be part of another Wild West. So no tone policing is all fine and for the best, but if it ends up spiralling into recrimination and hate speech like that place did, then I'll be leaving, and the forum will be left with a very select audience.

Offline Vendor-Lazarus

• Adherent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2018, 09:19:14 PM »
So no tone policing is all fine and for the best, but if it ends up spiralling into recrimination and hate speech like that place did, then I'll be leaving, and the forum will be left with a very select audience.

You would have to define this "hate speech" that supposedly occurred on the Escapist..
The only places you are likely to find actual, hateful, baseless, lesser than/exterminate, talk, is on places like stormfront (for "racial minorites"), 4chan (jokingly and and not, against everyone) and in SJW circles (against white males and non-conformers).
Criticism, critique and skepticism against things like unfiltered mass-immigration, Islamic teachings and Muslim cultural values, thought-policing and similar practices hollowing out and eroding Western Ideals are not "hate speech".
Ironically, your accusation is a form of tone-policing in actuality, wanting to implement certain unreasonable restrictions on speech.

Online Arnox

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2018, 11:00:28 PM »
Ironically, your accusation is a form of tone-policing in actuality, wanting to implement certain unreasonable restrictions on speech.

Down, boy. Heel!

...but I suppose what I would like to see is some indication that the same won't happen here. I want to be part of a community with the people from The Escapist, but with a semi-functional forum; I don't want to be part of another Wild West. So no tone policing is all fine and for the best, but if it ends up spiralling into recrimination and hate speech like that place did, then I'll be leaving, and the forum will be left with a very select audience.

What you're asking for is kind of contradictory here. You don't want tone-policing, but at the same time, you don't seem to want any possibility of offensive threads and posts. Am I mistaken here?

Offline Vendor-Lazarus

• Adherent
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2018, 11:19:43 PM »

Down, boy. Heel!

My bad. It was not for me to reply as such in this specific thread.
My sincerest apologies to you.

Online Arnox

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2018, 11:24:20 PM »

Don't worry. It was much more in a joking fashion. You're not breaking any rules at all. lol

Offline Houseman

• Adherent
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2018, 12:59:44 AM »
...but I suppose what I would like to see is some indication that the same won't happen here.

You know the joke(s) about the Catholic school-girl, who is so repressed that the moment she gets a hint of freedom, she goes absolutely kilter? That's how I feel the Escapist was. People were so tired of walking on eggshells, that the moment that they gained the ability to speak their mind, they erupted like a volcano.*

Since we have the freedom to speak our minds from the get-go, I don't think that same sort of pressure will build up here.

*Disclaimer: I never saw the inside of the Wild West

Offline Vendor-Lazarus

• Adherent
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2018, 02:19:02 AM »

Don't worry. It was much more in a joking fashion. You're not breaking any rules at all. lol

Understood, Mistress! ,)

Though the apology remain, since my reply could be considered a slight derailing (into politics of all things!), and this IS really a thread for you to gather grievances and advice and reply how you will proceed forward.
Though I understand that you don't go for that sort of more formal and stiff air, right?